Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hug it Out…

An article appeared in the New York Times in recently, taking an interesting angle on the whole Swine Flu (H1N1) thing. Undoubtedly, the second coming of the virus (the first being in the Spring of this year) is being anticipated and feared by the general population and people have begun to prepare themselves and for many, there is an intense look at how we do everything we do.
Following the advice our mothers told us when we were young, healthcare experts are saying, over and over that following basic hygiene, cough etiquette, hand washing and staying home if you are sick are the best ways to avoid the onslaught (unless you have a weakened immune system). But, what about how we all greet one another and show general affection towards those we meet or come in contact with on a regular basis?

Handshakes, fist bumps and hugs have all come into question. Are you, like I am, a semi-affectionate, passionate greeter of those you care about? When you see someone you haven’t seen for a while or someone you genuinely car about, how do you normally greet them – a handshake, a fist bump, a kiss? Are you the one in the group that tends to be the want to “hug it out?”
I clearly understand what is at stake here, but part of me still wants to show people some love. In taking a straw poll of friends, nearly all of them are at least questioning their greeting rituals and are considering adjustments, especially if the person so much as hiccups.
I, for one, am declaring that I will not let anything deter me from the mission of self-expression. I will shake hands, bump fists, kiss and yes, even hug it out, but I may keep a gallon of hand sanitizer and a green mask in my back pocket…just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment