Thursday, February 11, 2010

Phooey on Valentine's Day

Now, I know this is going to sound like a complete man-type cop out, but I really don’t care for Valentine’s Day…in the traditional Hallmark/Godiva/1-800-FLOWERS kind of way.
Next month, I will celebrate 19 years of extraordinary marital kinship with my phenomenal wife.  I mean to tell you, I am head over heels in love…for real!
One thing we have always been purposeful about throughout our marriage is to offer up continuous thankfulness towards one another and genuine love.  That means that we don’t wait for any designated date on the calendar to appreciate one another.
Let’s take a look at that word for a minute, appreciate [uh-pree-shee-eyt].  Webster’s dictionary simply defines it as “being grateful for; to value or regard highly.”  I would argue that if we, “guys” of the species would appreciate our mate or significant other more (everyday), there would be less of a need to fight through the lines at the Walgreen’s or mall to pick up an insignificant gift.  On the other side, a woman that “has” to get something from their man on Valentine’s Day to validate their relationship should seek good counseling or another man.
Just for the record, I will buy my lovely wife a gift for the day, but I buy her gifts all of the time, just because. So, this VD day, let’s adjust our priorities and learn to appreciate those we love all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment